Sunday, February 17, 2008

Curd!

Tonight we had a little birthday celebration at the Baldwin's for Jamie and Megan. My sole responsibility was making the cake. That has kind of become my job in our party network... not that everyone forces me to make cakes, but it's really all I can do. I'm not so good with real food, just desserts.
For tonight's party I wanted to make something fun out of a boring white cake. I decided on a raspberry curd for the filling. I didn't know what the heck raspberry curd was either - don't worry.
It was pretty easy. First you mix 6 oz of raspberries with 3/4 cup sugar, 2 T lemon juice, 2 T butter, and 2 eggs. You cook it on medium heat until it thickens and bubbles. Then you strain it to get the chunks and seeds out. Let it cool in the fridge. When it is cool, fold in a 1 1/2 cups of whipped cream (unsweetened). This made enough filling for me to fill a 4 layer cake.
For the frosting I used a white chocolate whipped cream. To make that, you just fold a couple ounces of melted white chocolate into the sweetened whipped cream. It was pretty good for a first try experiment.
By the way, this picture of the cake is the one I brought home to Ben, hence the beautiful tupperware. He was working... until 4am. He's such a hard working stud.

No comments: