Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Yum Yum.

I have a few yummy recipes to share. For my friends from the 505, you might know the corn cake at Gardunos. I love that stuff and finally found a recipe that is equally delicious. It's like a really moist, sweet corn bread. Sounds weird, but is uber-yummy.
The second recipe is for a homemade taco seasoning and I love it!
Enjoy!

Sweet Corn Cake (adapted from all recipes):
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup masa harina (white flour will work, too)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups frozen whole-kernal corn, thawed
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
2 T heavy cream (milk is fine, too)
1/4 t salt
1/2 t baking powder

  1. In a medium bowl beat butter until it is creamy. Add the Mexican corn flour and water and beat until well mixed.
  2. Using a food processor, process thawed corn, but leave chunky. Stir into the butter mixture.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder. Add to corn flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking pan. Smooth batter and cover with aluminum foil. Place pan into a 9x13 inch baking dish that is filled a third of the way with water.
  4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven F (175 degrees C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop for easy removal from pan.
*I've used canned corn with success before. Also, I doubled the recipe recently and still cooked it in an 8x8. It just needed to cook about 10 minutes longer. The original recipe called for twice as much butter, but I really like it this way.

Taco Seasoning
1 T chili powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t dried oregano
1/2 t paprika
1 1/2 t cumin
1 t sea salt
1 t pepper

6 comments:

Becca said...

I make Sweet Corn Cake that looks like this exact same recipe. We love it! I got a giant bag of corn flour at HEB just for making this. I got the recipe from a site called topsecretrecipes.com. It's supposedly a re-creation of the Sweet Corn Cakes at a restaurant called Chi-Chis.

Suzy said...

yep - it's the same. i found a lot of the chi chi's copycats, too. love it.

Scot said...

Gardunos!!!! I would only get certain dishes so that I got a corn cake, like the chimichangas.

Suzy said...

I usually just order it on the side - especially if I'm sharing. All this Gardunos talk is making me hungry. We need to have a green chile party.

Wendell said...

Are we supposed to start with 4 or 6 pounds of meat? :)

Suzy said...

W - if you're planning a dinner party for 10 people (5 being kids) plan on 4 pounds of meat. If you're planning on dinner for 25-30 people, plan on 6 pounds of meat.
Have baggies ready to send home leftovers.