Friday, April 3, 2009

Garbanzo & Hominy Soup

As I was eating my leftovers for lunch today, I thought I should share this recipe with you.
My sister told me this recipe yesterday as she was driving and I was doing pilates. It was so easy I didn't have to write anything down and she didn't have to read anything to me. E-A-S-Y!
It was yummy and reminded me of my mom's posole, only 16 times easier and faster.

Garbanzo & Hominy Soup
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
4 cloves garlic
2 cups water
1 can vegetable broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can Rotel tomatoes (mild or medium)
2 cans of garbanzo beans
1 can of hominy
2 cups of fresh spinach, packed

Cook your onion and garlic in olive oil. Add water, broth, cumin, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add tomatoes, beans and hominy. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste to make sure the seasonings are good. Just before you are ready to serve, add the spinach. It will wilt as you stir it into the soup. Serve with tortillas or crusty bread. I also served it with lime wedges and cilantro would have been good, too.

I accidentally bought a huge can of hominy, so I had about equal parts hominy to garbanzo beans. Because of that, I added an extra can of tomatoes and extra broth. Instead of a can of veggie broth, I just added more water and added beef, chicken, and veggie bouillon. I like to mix it up a little...

This would be good with some chicken or pork added, but doesn't need it.

No comments: