Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Potter's all up in my head

I wouldn't generally classify myself as a Harry Potter Nerd. But every time I read one of the books I become a HPN for a few weeks or months, depending on how long I stretch the book out.
In the past, I have managed to read the books over a month or longer. See, I have this procrastination problem at times, and I also become really sad when I finish a book, so I like to drag it out. I have been postponing the last installment of the HP series because I knew that it would be really really sad to know it was the end of Potter.
Last week I finally decided it was time. I started reading the book while Ben was out one night, then I would read during nap time, then I would read during the night, while most people slept. I became obsessed once again. All day little Potter phrases would enter my mind and while I tried to sleep, it would get worse. I would just worry and worry about the wizards, house elves, goblins, muggles, and of course Harry. Saturday night I started reading at 9:30 while Ben worked on the computer. I said, "Let's stop at 10:30 and watch SNL." Before I knew it, Ben came in and it was midnight, then 1:00. I kept putting him off because I couldn't put the book down. It was like a drug... a slightly nerdy drug, but a drug none the less. Finally at 2:00 he came to bed and I went to the office and read until 2:30, when I finished the book. I'm not afraid to admit that I shed some tears, but I'm glad I finished. Sunday I was still obsessed with Potter. My obsession dwindles a little every day. I think by the weekend I should be normal... unless I start reading it again. Hmm.

3 comments:

Brenna said...

I so the same thing when I read HP! We can be nerds together.

Mrs. JoAnne Mabey said...

i did the same, and joseph is finally reading the last one and is absolutely frustrated and devastated about having to work instead of being able to read. have you read Twilight? its the same, i am MORE then obsessed with it, i LOVE this series!!!! but i love HP also.

Dani said...

Oh no! You've gone to the dark side too! You are a nerd! I've heard the books are absolutely awesome but I just can't bring myself to read them when I can just go see the movie! I know I know, the movie leaves out so many details and blah blah blah! :) Don't worry, I don't judge!